UConn Home Office of Student Services and Advocacy

Forms & Applications

Request Extension for an Incomplete Course
If you require an extension for a previously approved incomplete, you may pick up an Extension of Incomplete form from the Office of Student Services & Advocacy. You and your instructor will agree on a new deadline for completion of the course. You will then return the completed Extension of Incomplete Form to the Office of Student Services & Advocacy for processing.

FERPA Waiver Form

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students".

Click to go to FERPA's website at:http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/ to read the entire FERPA document.

Consent form to release and use educational records maintained by the Office of Student Services & Advocacy.

Voluntary Separation from the University
Students considering or having decided to leave the University should contact the Office of Student Services & Advocacy to discuss their options and to officially process their separation from the University. This includes students withdrawing from a semester in progress, students informing us they are not returning for the upcoming semester and students requesting consideration for a leave of absence to take a semester or more off but with a specific return date established.

Readmission to the University
Whenever there is a gap in a student's attendance, regardless of the reason, the student must complete an application for readmission through the Office of Student Services & Advocacy. The readmission application can be found on our website. Please note that we have significantly changed our readmission application time line. Visit the Readmission to the University web page to learn more.

Short Term Emergency Loans (STELF)
The Office of Student Services & Advocacy has an emergency loan fund available to degree students during the months of the year when they are in classes at the University. The fund is intended to help students in financial emergencies such as transportation cost home when there is and illness or other family emergency, car repairs, living expenses, school supplies, etc. Loans are for a maximum of $500 and usually expected to be repaid in one to three months. These loans cannot be used to pay a balance owed to the University on their fee bill or student financial account.

Residency Status
A Student who starts at the University in an out-of-state billing status who changes his/her permanent residence to Connecticut and is seeking in-state billing status must complete the application below. Once youíve completed and submitted the application (including mandatory documents), you will be contacted by a staff member from the Office of Student Services & Advocacy.

Contact Us

Office of Student Services & Advocacy
Wilbur Cross Building, Rm. 203
233 Glenbrook Rd, Unit 4062
Storrs, CT, 06269

860-486-3426 (Phone)
860-486-1972 (Fax)


Division of Student Affairs
One Division. Multiple Services. Students First.